Thursday, February 9, 2012

ProtoANKURgenes?

When Dwebs was going over oncogenes and protooncogenes in class, I was getting pretty confused. Thankfully this video on youtube helped me understand the difference between the two. It pretty much states that point mutations, one of the mutations we learned about, is one of the ways a protooncogene becomes an oncogene. The reason some cells become cancer cells is actually because protooncogenes become amplified. This pushes the cell towards uncontrolled growth. Another way cells become cancerous is when protooncogenes are rearranged through chromosomal translocation. This is when a gene from one chromosome is stuck to the promoter region of another chromosome. I would definitely recommend you watch this video if you were having trouble grasping the concept of protooncogenes and oncogenes.





In other news... this came up while I was on YouTube and I was like "aww, how relevant!" Not quite sure if I like it, perhaps it'll grow on me?

No comments:

Post a Comment